Wednesday 26 June 2013

A Very Patient Patient...

So, it's almost a week since Storm was spayed which partly accounts for the radio silence since - not that she's been hard work but rather because I don't feel I have a huge amount to say. Which is, for me, a rarity.

But today I have a few moments so a small update seems in order. Storm has been an absolute star since her op. Honestly, I couldn't have wished for an easier-to-cope-with dog. She's been so patient and so good - no  attempted licking of her stomach (thus, no need for the cone of shame), no whining or moaning, no bothering because of lack of exercise. In short, she's been her usual, marvellous self. I did sleep downstairs with her on   her first night home but she seems to have stayed up to keep an eye on me. Whenever I woke in the night, she was sat next to me, watching me as if to say 'but Mum, you're sleeping on the floor, something must be really wrong with you'.

Our vets (Nine Mile in Wokingham) are fabulous and Storm was so well looked after. As you might know, it's thanks to our vet in some ways that we were lucky enough to get Storm and they are great. We have our second check-up on Saturday and hopefully Storm will be signed off and we can get back to walking, training and loving our life together.

I have missed gundog training with Sarah Miles a lot. Those few hours of 'me' time are more precious than I imagined. I literally cannot wait for next week and a gentle session with Storm, Sarah and her dogs out in the countryside again. This realisation, this noticing of just how much I love the training and the learning and the 'difference' of this part of my life from my workaday world is another gentle reminder of how much things have changed since Storm arrived and it is another thing I thank her for.

Storm is currently laid happily on her bed in my office - we had our first little road walk since her op this morning and she seemed absolutely fine. Not far, not fast, just a gentle stroll in the morning sunshine, like two old women slowly shuffling to the shops.

We ambled along, side by side, both relishing the leg stretch and exercise after our enforced incarceration.
"You're a good girl Stormy." I said as she sat neatly by the pavement edge, waiting to cross. She looked up at me with happy eyes and her half panting/half smiling open mouth and leaned onto my hand as I rubbed her ears.

I think I'm forgiven for the upset of the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment