Thursday 9 May 2013

One Giant Leap For Dog-Kind...

Storm - 9th May 2013
Well, I thought it was time for a little training update and (perhaps I should whisper this for fear of jinxing everything), it's all going really well.

The amazing Sarah Miles is continuing to work her magic with Storm who is switching on and things feel like they're falling into place. It's wonderful and we're definitely getting somewhere.

After a lot of practicing, chest tickling and coos of "ooooh, lovely girl, clever girl" (all me to Storm I should point out!), Storm's now holding holding holding things rather than spitting them out in disgust in the manner of Gordon Ramsey at a dodgy restaurant. This is a huge step forward and Sarah's now allowed us to buy our first 'proper' gundog dummy. Woooo-hoooo! Who'd have thought two months ago that the purchase of a 1lb canvas sack would have been quite such a cause for celebration?!

Walks are now brilliant. Unless she's been told to 'go play', Storm trots neatly at heel, keeping time with my stride. She runs to retrieve, returns and sits sweetly in front of me, holding the ball or dummy until she's told to drop it. The whistle recall still needs a bit of work but she's so much better. It's wonderful and I'm so proud of her.

Today, we had our post school-run walk and we were stopped by a pair of dog-walkers who complimented Storm's behaviour. It was lovely - if I wanted anything from Storm, it was for her to be well behaved and 'take anywhere'. On bank holiday Monday, we took her out for lunch with friends and she curled up next to the table in the pub and didn't bother anyone the whole time. I was slightly amazed, especially given the fact she's on a diet, but really chuffed for her.

It's ten weeks since Storm came home and my gorgeous beautiful girl has really settled in now. And I think she likes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment