Wednesday 22 May 2013

That Holiday Feeling...

We're all a bit de-mob happy in our house this week. Firstly, it's my birthday on Friday and then soon after, we're off on holiday. Another birthday? So soon? How can that be? I'm aging faster than is strictly necessary.

And, after years of scoffing at my parents as they and their dogs set of on holiday with a car bulging, not with their things but with the 'essentials' for the four-legged travelling companions, I am starting to regret those chuckles.

As this is our first holiday with the  gundog in question, I have been looking forward immensely to taking her away with us. I have visions of long walks, her splashing happily in the streams and tarns of the Lake District and her curling happily under tables in pubs as we share a post-walk drink or two.

However, as the holiday has approached, I've felt the need, as I so often do, to write a little list. Lists are, for me, very relaxing things. I am trying to wean myself off them however but it's not going very well so far.

Storm's holiday list is seemingly more extensive than mine but I hope you can forgive my 'First Holidays With Dog' paranoia about forgetting things. I know she won't mind if she doesn't have her cotton wool pads for her post-breakfast eye wipe and I know it won't be the end of the world if she doesn't have her cod liver oil tablet but I just can't help myself.

I am, like an annoyingly earnest Boy Scout, at my most happy when I'm prepared. I adore organisation and abhor chaos and anything seat-of-your-pants. Spontaneity and I are not the best of bed fellows. At university, I used to re-write my lecture notes of an evening to make sure they were neat enough. Neat enough for whom I hear you ask? Indeed.

And so, when we set off on our holidays, with my check-marked list and tidily packed bags, how long do you think it will be until I realise I've forgotten something?

I blame my age you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment