Friday 19 April 2013

Don't Worry, Be Happy...

'I think I might have got something stuck in my teeth'
Before we got Storm, I worried. I worried that I would be simply too selfish to have a dog.

Would I really be able to give up my odd precious lay-in to make sure the dog was let out? Would I remember the drops, tablets, capsules, eggs and other things on Storm's list of requirements? Would the kids get on with her? Would the daily walks become onerous? Would she interfere with my work and my life? Would she demand a lot of time and effort

Seven weeks on from Storm's arrival into my life, I realised this week that those worries are just simply non-issues. Yes, I'm always up by 6.45am now, yes, I've got more wet in the last few weeks on walks than I would like, yes, there's a lot to remember. But my goodness, how dogs reward you for that really negligible amount of work.

When we walk in the rain, we're in it together and when we get home and she curls up next to me, I know she's happy and content and that makes me happy and content too. When I'm up early in the morning, she leans against me to be rubbed and is happy to see me. She makes my heart sing when we practice the moves that Sarah has given us for this week's 'homework' and we both improve every time. She's opened my eyes to the countryside and has made me renew my interest in rural ways. She keeps me company when I'm writing, she reminds me to take a break every now and again. When my son goes to spend some time with his Dad, we share in missing him but we still have each other and welcoming him home again is made more special watching Storm's happiness at his arrival.

Yes, there's 'work' attached to having a dog but you are repaid for your effort a hundred times over every day. Storm has made me a better person so remind me, what was I worried about?

No comments:

Post a Comment