Thursday 11 April 2013

Welcome To Gundog & Girl...

Welcome to Gundog & Girl - this blog is going to be the story of my journey with Storm over the coming weeks, months and years.

Storm bounced into my life six weeks ago now and already, I can't imagine my house or heart without her.

She's just a year old now, a pedigree Labrador Retriever with generations of Field Trial Champions behind her on her pedigree. She might look black but actually she's a coca-cola colour - she looks black but when the light bounces off her coat, you realise she's actually very dark brown in places. She's funny, smart, beautiful and gentle. She's everything I ever wanted in a dog.

As for me, well, I've never owned a pedigree Labrador Retriever. I've been around dogs ever since I was born but at 36, I've got my first very own dog. I know some things but I'm still learning lots and this will be a record, a chart, a story of everything.

As I type this welcome note, Storm is laying beside me, eyes shut after two long walks today, huge feet resting, breathing slowly. We've had a good day together.

So, what can you expect from this blog? Well, Storm and I have our first session with a trainer on Monday and I can guarantee I'm more nervous than Storm who will, no doubt, enjoy getting back to her working dog roots. We have holidays booked, walking in the Lake District and I'm keen to try The Kennel Club's Good Citizen Dog Scheme too. My dream is PAT dog status but we'll see what Storm thinks about all of that.

Anyway, I'll say goodbye for now. Storm would say goodbye too I'm sure but she's too busy snoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment